I graduated from UCL in 2002 with a 1st class honours degree in Statistics. I then worked in the City for seven years - starting with the graduate training programme at the Bank of England, then working at Barclays, Macquarie and UBS.
In 2009 I decided to try a more worthwhile and challenging career (read more about this decision in my post 'Why teach?'). I did a PGCE in Secondary Mathematics at Kings College London. I spent five years teaching at a girls' grammar school in Greater London, including an enjoyable year as Key Stage 5 Coordinator. I now work as a Lead Practitioner at Glyn School Epsom.
I've been sharing teaching ideas and resources on resourceaholic.com since April 2014.
I tweet as @mathsjem. I also co-host the Twitter account @Team_Maths1. I occasionally host the NCETM's weekly chat #mathscpdchat. I also collate the homeworks on the popular website prethomework.weebly.com.
I am a member of the AQA Maths Expert Panel and the TES Maths Panel. I am a FMSP Associate and a Lead Subject Mentor for Glyn Surrey SCITT.
I don't claim to be a brilliant teacher - I have a lot to learn - but I do know a lot about maths resources! I enjoy sharing teaching ideas. I like to be helpful, it makes me happy.
I have two daughters - Maddie and Hettie. My lovely husband Dan is an ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) at The Royal Marsden Hospital.
If you'd like to know more about me, read my profile in the 'Behind the Mathematician' series.
You can contact me through Twitter (@mathsjem) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can download and comment on my own resources on TES. I've credited the authors of all other resources on this website where possible, apologies if I've missed anyone.
This is a personal blog. The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.
Praise for Resourceaholic.com
"A good balance of humble, honest personal reflection with insight and analysis." ~ Tom Sherrington (@headteacherguru) in this post.
"A resource rich blog totally rooted in teaching and learning containing resources covering topics at KS3, 4 and 5. Of particular note are the 'Maths Gems' signposting 5 specific resources or ideas in each". ~ @OCR_Maths in this list.
"Your blog has a profound effect on my teaching. It really is inspirational and has caused me to critically assess all my resources and the way I deliver topics". ~ Ben Salisbury, maths teacher (by email).
"She shares, she collates, she inspires. The Sunday evening chat #MathsTLP and her website resourceaholic.com are staples for any planning, across KS3, KS4 and KS5". ~ Emma Bell (@El_Timbre) in this post.
"This blog is filled with ideas and resources for teaching secondary mathematics. With everything from Star Wars puzzles to mathematical handwriting, it’s an award winning blog for all things maths." ~ Teachers Building Society in this article.
"It isn't the quantity and frequency of Jo's blogs that's the most remarkable, it's the quality..." ~ Matt Dunbar, Trinity Maths (via Twitter).
Achievements and Engagements
- April 2014: Launched Resourceaholic.com.
- August 2014: Author for La Salle Education's Complete Mathematics.
- From October 2014 - date: Occasional host of #mathscpdchat on behalf of the NCETM
- October 2014: Launched prethomework.weebly.com
- December 2014: Schools Week article published
- March 2015 - December 2015: Co-host of #mathsTLP
- March 2015: Presented on methods at National Mathematics Teacher Conference 3
- April 2015: Highly Commended at the UK Blog Awards 2015
- June 2015: Presented on Pret homeworks at #TMEpsom
- June 2015: Presented on methods at MEI Conference 2015
- August 2015: Article published in NCETM Secondary Magazine Issue 124
- August 2015: Listed in the Top 10 UK Education Blogs by Vuelio
- September 2015: Inset presentation on High Expectations at Glyn School
- September 2015: Presented on A level resources at National Mathematics Teacher Conference 5
- December 2015: Organiser and host of #christmaths15
- January 2016: Podcast with Craig Barton
- January 2016: Finalist in the Surrey Digital Awards 2016
- February 2016: Appointed to AQA's Maths Expert Panel
- March 2016: Listed in Top Ten Teaching Blogs to Follow by World Class Teachers
- March 2016: Featured in totaljobs.com article Insights into teaching
- March 2016: Organiser and host of #mathsmeetglyn
- April 2016: Presented on A level resources at Maths in the Sticks
- May 2015: Appointed FMSP Associate
- June 2016: Presented on methods at LIME Oldham
- June 2016: Launched @Team_Maths1 with @honeypisquared
- July 2016: Presented on resources at Edexcel's Warwick conference
- July 2016: Presented on 'Perfect Polynomials' at the FMSP's Key Stage 5 Network Day
- July 2016: Presented on GCSE changes at Meridian School
- July 2016: Freelance proofreader (A level textbooks)
- August 2016: Ranked 2nd in Vuelio's Top 10 UK Education Blogs
- August 2016: Listed in Feedspot's Top 100 Education Blogs
- September 2016: Appointed to the TES Maths Panel
- September 2016: Appointed as a Lead Subject Mentor for Glyn Surrey SCITT
- October 2016: Presented on new GCSE topics at #mathsconf8
- October 2016: Presented on maths websites at Oakwood School #MathsMeet
- December 2016: Presented at Coast2Coast TSA's Maths Subject Specialism Training
- December 2016: Listed in Feedspot's Top 100 Teacher Blogs
- December 2016: Organiser of #ChristMaths16
- January 2017: Presented on new GCSE topics at North West 3 Maths Hub
- February 2017: Article published on teachwire.net